Canungra RSL Sub-Branch

Canungra RSL Sub-Branch
Canungra RSL Sub-Branch
The Canungra RSL Sub-Branch Inc was initially formed at the end of WWI. In the interWar period, the main activity was the annual ANZAC Day activities. In the late 1930s, the Sub Branch and the Shire Council combined to erect a War Memorial on donated land in the centre of town. The impressive War Memorial located in Smith Park was opened on ANZAC Day 1938. Funding for the memorial had been raised from 1914 onwards, through public subscriptions and proceeds from community entertainments.
By 1938, the membership numbers had declined, with Canungra merging with nearby Tamborine Mountain during that year. After WWII, membership again grew and the Canungra Sub-Branch was again reformed. Membership again surged after the Korean War. The Sub-Branch moved into a new hall opened in 1958, with the facility boasting a billiard table and subsequently a tennis court.
The Sub-Branch went into recess in 1970-71, but was re-activated in 1972 and remains active to date. Canungra Sub-Branch received its RSL Charter on 6 May 1946. from RSL Website

Address: 25-29 Pine St, Canungra QLD 4275
Phone number: (07) 5533 3133

No comments

Write a Review

Copyright Aussietrek 2018. Powered by Blogger.